Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Where Is My Home? eBook Review

Layout
The first thing I will note about this book is that it is not formatted to read/view on an iPad in the horizontal way, like this:


But in the vertical position, the book looks great:


Note: When I turned my iPad back to horizontal after it had been vertical, the page layout was easier to read, but still not as aesthetically pleasing as it is in the vertical orientation.


My thoughts on the storyline
Very cute story about a little boy who accidentally gets away from his home while chasing a butterfly. This book kind of reminded me of "Are You My Mother?" and had a really adorable progression from one adventure to the next.

My thoughts on the writing
I am unsure exactly who this book is made for so I have a couple opinions on this.

If the book is written for parents who are reading to their kids who are not yet of reading age, then the book is well written to get as many words on each page so there is a photo to go with each page.

My concern becomes if this book is designed for early readers to read aloud with their parents or teachers, then there are several improvements to be made. Firstly, the book includes many large blocks of text without line breaks. These can be very hard to follow and for little readers to not lose their place while reading to themselves or out loud. Any time the speaker changes, a new line should start. I would not suggest any more than one or two sentences per "paragraph" (I say this as a mom to a four-year-old).

Secondly for little readers, the language may be a little bit too advanced in some places. I think the author got a little caught up in writing correctly, but forgot the rule of simplicity with it comes to children's books.

My last complaint would be the typos throughout the book. Most of them are punctuation errors, but they are distracting for me as a parent.

Overall, very cute story and my daughter enjoyed listening to me read it aloud to her. I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment