Sunday, October 5, 2014

California Kitchenware Butterfield Silicone Cupcake Molds Review

Have you ever tried silicone cupcake molds? I am in lots of co-ops that often run buys for them, but I have never been brave enough to try them. I had a silicone bread pan once, but it was the WORST to clean so I was afraid the cupcake molds would be the same--that kept me from ordering any.

Until California Kitchenware contacted me about trying their silicone cupcake molds found here. Since I have a four year old with a mouth full of sweet teeth, cupcakes are a frequent flyer in my house so it was just a matter of the occasion to arise to try them. That day was today and I was oddly excited about making a cupcake mess in my kitchen that would allow me to try these adorable molds.

First of all, they are shipped in a plastic container that would probably be useful to keep for storing them (mine was stolen and mostly eaten by my one year old). Secondly I have to mention the colors--these molds came in a set of 12, which had 4 blue, 4 yellow and 4 pink (my daughter says its purple so it could go either way). The colors are very vibrant and bright! My daughter was excited to bake in such pretty colored molds.

Instantly I was in major like with these molds. My biggest peeve of paper cupcake molds are that they don't really stay down in the pan until they have some cupcake mix to weigh it down. Since the silicone molds keep their shape, they fit into my cupcake pan perfectly.

I prepared on pan of silicone molds and one pan of paper liners (I'm making marble swirl cupcakes):


All the cupcakes were done at the same time, but I think they silicone molds cooled a little faster for some reason (they were definitely hot to the touch out of the oven though--I checked). I was most excited to see the difference between the cupcake after you peeled away the mold and liner.

The cupcakes baked in the silicone seemed to hold the moisture a bit better so they are just a bit softer and fluffier. Also, the difference of the amount of cupcake remaining on the liner/mold was drastic. Aside from cupcake mixture I dripped on the edge of the mold, there are almost no cupcake stuck to the mold, but the usual amount stuck to the paper liner.


Both sets up cupcakes were delicious, but the cupcakes baked in silicone were prettier looking, more consistent in size and shape and easier to peel. A plus is that silicone is reusable, so less waste for the environment!


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment